- Created: Thursday, 20 December 2018
Wow! What a vacation! I would really recommend this trip to any honeymooner. The team at Machangulo really provided a personal experience that I think will be difficult to beat at other lodges. The staff is super friendly and humble people. Service was never a problem and they really go out of their way to accommodate everyone. So here are a few points from our trip which will hopefully assist you. Also, I attached a few photos as well as a nice aerial video which shows the beach and the lodge from above.
Self drive: Make sure your documents are in order and that you do your research on driving in Moz thoroughly. We had an encounter with the Moz police where they gave me a lot of trouble regarding the size and colour of my car registration papers. But, I got off free of charge after they realised I'm not going to bride them and because my documents were still valid. Also, as you know, I couldn't find the Maputo Marina. I used the offline maps application "Maps.me" which worked perfectly but could only pick up Waterfront restaurant (after my discussion over the phone with you, luckily I had roaming) and not Maputo Marina. However, google maps shows the Maputo Marina clearly. I would also recommend you to send more details regarding the gate to the boats to other self-drive vacationers as below. Also, have enough cash for each day's parking because you need to pay it when you arrive.
On return we didn't use the Lebombo/Ressano border (which was a nightmare) because of all the people trying to sell stuff and everything is in Portuguese. It's basically a very corrupt border post, especially on the Ressano side. We returned through Swaziland, which was a breeze and a beautiful drive!!! However, it was a 2.5-hour detour.
|-The boat trip could be a bit bumpy and I would definitely recommend taking a nausea pill two hours beforehand.
- The lodge itself was great and the food the best!
- Everything included in the package was very well presented by the lodge.
- The staff really make you feel at home
- Activities wise I would definitely recommend the snorkelling and we also enjoyed the free tour to Santa Maria (Beer is also cheaper there ;-) ). The have adequate kayaks, SUPs and snorkelling gear to keep one busy on the beach and they have sufficient activities each day to keep you busy (It can get a bit expensive if you were going to do everything though...)
Nonetheless, what a great experience! Thank you so much for all your assistance in giving us an unforgettable and incredible honeymoon experience!.